Mastermind Of Parliament Security Breach Surrenders To Delhi Police


Mastermind Of Parliament Security Breach Surrenders To Delhi Police

New Delhi:

Lalit Jha, the alleged mastermind of the security breach in parliament that shocked the nation, has surrendered. Sources said he had gone to the police station on Kartavya Path (the boulevard renamed ‘Path of Duty’ in the heart of Delhi) and surrendered. He has been formally arrested and the New Delhi District Police has handed him over to the Special Cell.

The Kolkata-based teacher was arrested from Delhi after being on the run for nearly two days.

Sources said the man claimed that he had gone by bus to Rajasthan’s Nagaur via Neemrana — where he he was seen last — and stayed at a hotel with two friends. Later, when he realised that the police were looking for him, he came back. At the police station today, he was accompanied by one Mahesh, sources said.

Four persons were arrested for yesterday afternoon’s security breach in which two men — Sagar and Manoranjan — smuggled in smoke bombs and let them during the Lok Sbaha proceedings. Two others, Neelam Devi and Amol Shinde, who have been unable to get a pass, held a protest outside the parliament building, shouting slogans and waving smoke canisters, before they were caught.

Lalit Jha, who also did not get a visitors’ pass, recorded it on his cellphone and uploaded it on social media. He also passed on a copy to a Kolkata-based associate who runs a non-profit, investigators said.

The motive of the unprecedented “smoke protest”, investigators said, was to highlight the growing unemployment, plight of farmers, and the situation in Manipur. The group wanted a discussion on these matters in parliament and thought it would be a flashy way to draw attention. The group were part of a Facebook page called “Fans of Bhagat Singh”.

Investigators also said off the record that there appeared to be no organised terror group behind the plot.

In the court, though, the Delhi Police earlier said the matter needs further investigation while seeking two week’s custody of the four people arrested. The accused have been charged under the anti-terror law UAPA and sections of the Indian Penal Code.

The police contended that the whole operation resembled a terror attack and questioned the motive.

“Was the purpose of the incident only to express one’s point or to carry out some major incident? It has to be investigated whether any terrorist organisation is involved in this entire issue,” they told the court.

The court has allowed them a week’s time.


Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *